If you would like to keep up with current information, follow us on Facebook or Twitter!

No Alerts

No Recent alerts.

Where does the water come from?

Depending on your location, your water will either come from two well fields that tap the sand and gravel aquifer associated with the Embarras River Valley or from the Kaskaskia River and then ran through one of our water treatment plants.

Is the water tested periodically?

Water testing is regulated by the Illinois Environmental Protection Agency, (EPA). Water is tested daily at the treatment plant for several parameters. Additional samples from the distribution system are tested monthly. Each year a consumer confidence report (CCR) is mailed or made available to all customers. The CCR tabulates all of the test results for the preceding year.

What size are the water mains?

Our distribution system consists of PVC water mains from 4” to 8” diameter, sometimes 10”. Your service line from the meter will most likely be 1” to 1 ½” depending on the distance.

How deep is the line buried?

The water main is buried at least 42″ deep, even across hilly areas or under creeks.

When will water actually be available? Does the entire phase have to be completed before the water is turned on?

Water can be provided as portions of each phase are completed at the discretion of the contractor.

Is the water hard or soft?

EJ Water has two separate water sources. The larger water source will supply softened water to our customers; however our original water source still produces moderately hard water. A water softener is not necessary although some customers desire to use a water softener. E J Water is moderately hard, averaging about 16 grains per gallon or 280 parts per million. If you are interested in which source will serve you please contact our office.

Where does E J’s right-of-way easement start?

E J’s right-of-way easement generally starts where the public right-of-way ends, usually twenty feet from the center of the road. The easement most likely will encompass the next twenty feet; however, when laying the water main, E J tries to stay within the first 5′ of private property. The 20-foot easement, in most situations, does allow us enough room to install the water main. A wider easement may be requested in order to avoid obstacles such as large trees, and to minimize damage. A right-of-way easement is only necessary where the water main is located; access to the water meters and service lines are included in the user’s contract.

Can the water line be installed without damaging or removing fences?

The contractor is not allowed to cut or remove fences without the property owner’s permission. In most cases the contractor will backhoe under the fence. If a fence has to be removed it will be replaced to as good or better condition. In any event the property owner should be notified before any fences are removed


If the area E J needs to cross is fenced in, does the contractor contact the landowner prior to entering the property?

Yes. The property owner, or their representative, must be present to allow the construction crew access to fenced areas.

How much is a membership?

Under current policy, if membership is purchased prior to the water main being constructed, the cost is $1,000.00 ($150.00 sign up fee and $850.00 tap on fee). Prices are subject to change.

How much is the membership if I decide to sign up after the line has been installed?

Under current policy, if a membership is purchased after the line is constructed, the cost is $2,000.00. Additional penalty costs may be assessed if water service is requested for property where an easement has been refused. Prices are subject to change.

How much is the minimum monthly payment and how much water do we receive for this minimum amount? Also, how much do we pay after the minimum?

In order to allocate charges equally, EJ has structured their minimums by service area requiring each area to support it’s own debt. Most members receive 750 gallons of water with the minimum charge. The SangChris Service Area has fewer meters installed requiring the minimum to be set without including any water. Usage over the amount of gallons received with the minimum is charged per 1,000 gallons. On average a person uses 50 gallons per day, or 1,500 gallons per month. Please contact our office to find out what current rates are.

Where will my meter be placed?

The meter needs to be located where it can be easily read by our Orion Reading System. (a radio read computer that reads from a vehicle on the road). The meter should be readily accessible by our servicemen and vehicles, preferably within 10 to 20 feet of the driveway. The meter, in most cases, may be placed anywhere on the property adjacent to the water main or adjacent to the property line.

Will EJ install a water line to my house?

No. The property owner is responsible for connecting a service line from the meter to the home.

Who do I contact to do this work?

Any licensed plumber. The work should be done in accordance with the Illinois Plumbing Code. Note: The Illinois Plumbing Code requires an expansion tank on the water heater. The homeowner may also install the service line if they choose to do so.

Is the landowner required to have their work inspected if they install the line themselves from the meter?

No. However, it does need to be constructed in accordance with the Illinois Plumbing Code and EJ reserves the right to inspect the work.

Is it possible to hook up to the water line at my well, so that I can use my well water or EJ water as needed – using just a switch to go from well to EJ?

It is possible but it is not advised. If this is done a reduced pressure zone valve (RPZ valve) must be installed and inspected each year by a licensed cross connection inspector, with a report of the inspection filed each year with the E J Water office. There is a substantial additional cost for installation and annual inspection of the RPZ valve.

Can the same lines running from my well to my house be used for EJ?

Yes, but only after the well has been abandoned.

What about property damage during the installation of the water line?

The contractor is responsible for clean-up when the project is complete. It will be several months after construction of the water main before clean up begins. The ground is allowed to settle before leveling. Lawns are re-seeded and gravel is replaced in driveways. E J will monitor the clean up, and we will do everything possible to facilitate the process. We will appreciate your patience as the clean up is being done. Individuals who have signed an easement are entitled to crop damage, but it is the property owner’s responsibility to file a brief claim for the crop damage with the EJ Water office.

What about crop damage?

EJ Water pays for crop damage due to any construction or maintenance of the water main. We have a brief form that the landowner or farmer uses to fill in the crop loss information. Crop damage payments have historically been higher than market prices.

If we haven’t answered your questions here, please feel free to give us a call @ 217.925.5566 or toll free @ 866.925.5566. Office hours are 8:00-4:00 Monday-Friday. We also welcome your comments.